Monday, December 1, 2008

Superiority

"The infirm or the stupid should be sterilized so their genes are not passed on,"this was a statement made by Darwin. This strikes me as a negative thought that may have been used as one of the justifications for many evil things done in the world. As soon as I read this I thought of Hitler's take on ethnic cleansing and his belief that the Aryan race was superior. This also puts me in the mind of slavery and how many people may use this as their reason as to why they enslaved those "under them. I do not believe anyone should be sterilized and that anyone is stupid and weak. Everyone is human, and everyone (though may not be equal in strength and knowledge) is equal in their right to live and breed.
Another thing that bothers me is this Survival of the Fittest thing. I think just hearing this theory creates a superiority complex in people making them think that they have all right to live, but they can do w/o the people who are "beneath them." Isn't this theory saying that one person has more value than the other? Can anyone be called less fit to survive? We are all created equally to carry out our purpose, but then Darwin states that people should be sterilized and the fit will only survive; why and how did he come to this conclusion? Darwin did take a great leap to press on a seriously touchy issue. This doesn't only denies the role of God but it blatantly tells those who have been sick most of their life that the reason why they are sick and are going to die is because they are not fit to survive. They have no reason to breed; they need to be sterilized. They are an unequal to the healthy "superior" person. I don't understand. Maybe I am not understanding what Darwin meant. I don't get it. :-x

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Darwin said some stupid things, some of which sound a bit like the ravings of the "social Darwinists" you describe. (Anyway, as I said on a couple of other blogs, I'd prefer "survival of the nicest.")