Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Free Will.

I have started reading chapter 15 and so far I find it interesting to see the duel views of free will. If I had to pick a side as to where I stand, I would say I agree with the Libertarians view that we do have free will. I believe that we are all responsible for our actions, granted that we are in sound mind. The only way person isn't in charge of their action is if they are mentally/ emotionally unstable; other than that we do have free will. Even believing in God, you have your free will to choose if you want to do whats morally right or morally wrong. Many people think that you are not free because God supposedly "brainwashes" you to do what He wants; not the case. God loves us and does have our will set out for us, but He makes us choose whether to follow Him or not. This choice was due to the fact that Adam and Eve ate the apple and "their eyes were open," forcing them to know the difference between good and evil.
We have a free will to choose our actions as long as we are ready to take responsibility for them in the end and not make excuses. Now that I think about it, it seems like existentialists and determinist's would be great enemies since they have conflicting views. In what I read so far I can only see the determinist's as excuse makers, using past events/ancestors always as an excuse to get out of the consequences of their actions. To clarify my self even further, I do believe in involuntary actions as well as voluntary actions. If we have to think and reason about something and come to a conclusion, that is a voluntary action. If our body does something without us thinking then that is a involuntary action. Being hungry is involuntary, because we do not think about being hungry it just happens. Whether we eat or not (or even what we choose to eat) is voluntary because it takes reasoning and deliberating.
Another thing stated by the determinist's that I want to clarify is the subject of want and desire. OK, we cannot help the things that we find appealing and that is arousing to us, but we do choose as to whether we give into our desire or not. If a person placed a huge chocolate cheesecake in front of me and they know that is my weakness, the cheesecake is something I really want, but I know if I eat it I will get fat it is up to me whether I give into my want or my reason. I could show weakness and indulge or I could show discipline and walk away. The same can go for any desire people have. It's their choice. Free will is free will!

No comments: