Saturday, November 22, 2008

Religion, Evolution, and Evil!

OK, so I began reading the chapter on Darwin and I just have one thing to say...........what? I do not understand any of this evolutionary mumbo jumbo and the parts that I do understand are just going against creationism. I have talked to many people and when we do end up talking about Christianity , someone always says there is no room for Christianity anymore because so many people aren't acknowledging God as the creator of the Universe and everything in it, but they always turn to Science. There was a movie made a few years back called "The Reaping," and in this movie there was a scientist who was once a Christian, but then rejected the faith because of a personal problem that happened to her. As a Christian friend was talking to her he told her to explain all the plagues that happened in the bible when Moses asked Pharaoh to let his people go. Within less than a minute she gave a scientific explanation for all the plagues that happened, ruling out any possible involvement that God had. I was really shocked, but back to evolution. I so not believe I cam from a monkey. OK so there have been tests and research and data that shows humans and chimpanzees have almost identical genetic structure. OK and?
I was never big on this whole big bang/ evolutionary theory and I still am not. Maybe that is why I am having such a hard time with this chapter. What really set me of is that on pg 211, it states, " whereas religious accounts of the origin of evil have less impressive credentials." How dare they!? Then Pojman go on to question God and Him not being "more efficient." I mean come on, it was said in this chapter that the evolutionary theories have little proof.
Even though science and Christianity and all of these other theories differ, I must say that I did find one interlacing fact ( yea I was surprised). The bible says, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Jesus also says to make sure not to get caught up in the things of this world. Giving into the things of the world and bodily desires is what causes sin and greed and many of the philosophers agree with this. It is because of a persons wants and desires and their yearning to fulfill these wants and desires that there is evil. In this chapter it says, "Much, if not most, of moral or human made evil is the "unintended" result of nature's making us creatures with insatiable wants but limited resources and sympathies." I interpret this as due to the desires of man, evil (sin) is the result. That is the only underlying theme that I see between philosophy and religion.
I will try my best to finish this chapter, but like I said before it is hard to understand. I am trying my best to be patient, but it is just a fact of the matter that I don't believe in this and they are bashing religion harshly.

No comments: